Helpful Reading Tips for You and Your Child.....
There are several things you can do at home to help your child with his/her reading.
1. Have your child read things more than one time. Repeated readings are very helpful.
2. When choosing books, have your child choose books that are at his/her independent reading level. These are books that your child is able to read without making several errors. Remember the rule of 5: If your child makes 5 mistakes while reading a section of around 100 words, that book is too difficult.
3. Read a variety of materials. Books, comic books, magazines, newspapers, letters, and brochures can keep a child engaged in reading.
4. Discuss reading materials with your child. Ask him/her to tell you about the books and ask questions. If possible, read with your child as a nightly routine.
5. Ask me for a suggested reading list. If you need more information, please feel free to contact me for additional information. Take your child to the library on a regular basis. Let him/her see you reading as well.